Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Socially Backwards

For a long time, I've felt that social media has made us go backwards and become less social. I am rarely alone, but since I'm ignored most of the time, I do feel like I have better luck talking to a wall than actual people. It seems to be acceptable and normal to ignore people or interrupt them (because of course, whatever they have to say is more important...). The "ignoring" isn't ignoring to them, it's multi-tasking. So reading, watching TV or texting has become acceptable to them and justifiable. 

I may be old fashioned, but I believe that you should stop what you are doing when someone is talking to you, or politely tell them you just need a minute to finish up and then you'll give them your undivided attention. I feel like you need to look at the person while they are talking to you and not be on your phone. I put my phone away when I am spending time with people. I have plenty of other opportunities to be on my phone, so I really do not need to be rude and disrespectful when I am around other people. I expect the other person to at least make an effort to not be on their phone while they are spending time with me, but perhaps that is asking too much?

I am not on Facebook and have lost friends because of that. But I felt so disconnected when I was on Facebook. It was so fake to me and most of my "friends" on Facebook weren't close to me. Those people just wanted to collect friends and make it seem like they had 5,000 friends. I miss the days where you went out with friends and just enjoyed the moment. Now we have to be on our phones 24/7 and also document every life moment with selfies. 

Perhaps I am behind the times and unrealistic. But I do hope that there are still some people out there who cherish and enjoy actual human interaction. Ha, while I'm writing this, I am thinking I sound like I'm 80. For the record, I am in my 20s... 

Please just think about putting down your phone or getting off of Facebook for one moment and having a real conversation with someone. 


6 comments:

  1. I much prefer human interaction. It's one of my goals for 2014 to disconnect more. I have less apps than my mom! But sometimes I do feel socially awkward, especially as I get older. I find I don't care as much impressing others, it's easier to just not talk. I wonder if social media will be this big in 5 years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be interesting to see what happens with social media and socialization in the future. Facebook is already 10 years old and it seems to have made us worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Social Media is a beast! it really is. This is just my opinion but for me I had to find my authenticity with it... like FB.. I have a FB and rarely post but I am still dialed in in case someone needs to get ahold of me.. like my mother who loves it lol.. You just need to be yourself and I have lots of friends who went in and cut their facebook down to like 50 friends because they only wanted to stay in touch with the people who mattered... Don't feel pressured to do anything you don't want to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother loves FB as well! It may be certain groups of people or certain graduating classes, but it seems like people I grew up with make it a big contest; who has the most friends, best party pictures, prettiest friends, best job, etc. Or people use it to create drama or blow things out of proportion. I stay away from it.


    I have better luck with my pinterest and blogger friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lauren, this is suuuuch a great and well written post! I appreciate your thoughts on social media and relationships, because although I've come to love some forms of social media now, I'll always be the face to face lover deep down. I've been thinking a lot about the whole "putting down your phone" when you're talking to someone bit. I'm always trying to be mindful of it and be as present as possible with the person i'm with, but sometimes it's not easy when I'm busy or in a hurry! Oh, and one thing that I do not like is when the person I'm eating/hanging out with constantly looks/answers their texts/phone calls even though they're not always urgent. I'm not sure why, but it's just not my style. :P

    ReplyDelete