Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Tuesday Roundup

First and foremost, Happy Birthday, Kamana!! We adopted/rescued Kamana when he was about 6 months old. I am not sure of his exact birthday, but guessed it was sometime in February 2009. I randomly picked the 18th a few years ago. We never get around to actually celebrating it because he's pampered all year around. I was going to get him to wear a birthday hat, but he wouldn't cooperate for a general picture (hence the photoshopped hat). Today he is 5 years old, or 35.

Tomorrow I am going to cut off 10+ inches of my hair and donate it to Angel Hair. Angel Hair is like Locks of Love, but it is a local company. I've donated to Locks of Love several times and have donated to Wigs for Kids. 

I am putting together a gift basket for my mom's co-worker's daughter. Her daughter is very ill and I want to put something together for her to lift her spirits. I am going to make her some cards and already made her some marionberry swirled cookies. I want to do something, even if it's not much. 

Marionberry Swirled Cookies
Anyway, I'll try to remember to take a picture of the cards and post those later. I hope she likes them. I never met her before, but know how hard it is to be sick at such a young age (she's in her early 20s). 

One thing that is really bothering me right now is how focused some people are on work and how that's your only purpose in life. I had an appointment the other day and my doctor was so focused on what I was doing for work and how I was making money. I think the more important questions are what do you want to do in your life or what are you most proud of so far in your life? Or in general, what are you passionate about? Where do you want to go in life? I think we should focus on people and who they are, not what job they have. As I mentioned before, I've been ill for a long time and that does have an effect on what job I hold down. But honestly, I don't think I'd have my dream job right now (had I not been sick) because the majority of my friends are stuck in minimum wage jobs or are unemployed. 

I think this is my year. My penpal from the Netherlands sent me a very nice letter, saying that everything will turn around for me and that I deserve to get better. I truly believe it. 

I've seen other people include questions at the end of their posts and I'm going to follow along.  My questions for you are:

  • Who has gone above and beyond in your life and what did they do? Or vise versa, what have you done for someone to make their day better?
  • What is one of your biggest pet peeves?
Thank you for all of your comments and views. I really appreciate it!!  



8 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Kamana! Very good point about the job thing... I used to love my job as a vet tech, but it was also very stressful. Mostly because of poor management in the workplace I think. Loved the work, hated the people who ran the place. I guess for many people, jobs are a big part of our lives. We spend a lot of time at those places that it's easy to get caught up in even when you aren't working. I currently am not working, except for my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww happy birthday Kamana!! I totally agree- I am one to 'work to live' not 'live to work'. (well, currently anyway-I think if I had a job I was passionate about- helping people- I would absolutely live to work, but then something you love isn't work, right?)


    My mom has gone above and beyond to help myself as well as my sister who lost her house going through a divorce. I don't think my sister deserves it (long story) but my mom definitely does more than her share and is constantly being taken advantage.


    My biggest pet peeve is when my bf leaves his dirty dishes all throughout the house. And his dirty clothes. I also hate mouth noises!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a mom too, that's a very important job, or rather role. I think it is equivalent to work, but since work seems to have such a negative connotation, I feel like we should refer to motherhood as something else.


    I enjoy reading your blog and am glad you didn't stick with something that wasn't 100% fulfilling. You now have more freedoms and can still use your skills as a vet tech with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you get to do what you are truly passionate about. It takes a while to get there for anyone. I have a small crossover with you; my mom does do a lot for my sister in law and brother and shouldn't. They are very disrespectful.


    I hate dirty dishes and clothes being scattered around the house! I had an ex like that.. he had a laundry hamper but the clothes never made it in the basket. I got him trash cans and he never used them for trash. UGH!


    My friend and I were just having a conversation about mouth noises and annoying sounds in general! Maybe we can start a club.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good points, Lauren! (Look, I was able to get Disqus to work…!) I definitely agree that there are more important things to life than work, but sometimes it's easy to get wrapped up in it. However, later in life, will we ever look back and wish we worked more…? I try and remind myself of this when I find myself sacrificing too much of my personal life for work.


    In response to one of your questions, I received great customer service the other day, and made a point of leaving a little comment about the salesperson with the company. I haven't done that before, and was glad that I went the extra mile for someone who went the extra mile for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh good! I know some people wish they had made other choices or worked harder. I suppose some people wish they would have worked more in hindsight. I think it's more about the journey though.


    It is very important to acknowledge the good sales people. It's so easy to focus on the terrible ones and voice our complaints, but we forget to do the opposite for quality service. I make an effort to support small businesses and go back if they provide good service and products. I also make sure I tip well for those who do a good job (ie. hairdresser).

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so sweet of you to make a special gift and happy birthday to your pupp-o :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. They really liked the gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete